Thursday, February 14, 2013

Moms should NOT be ashamed!

Ok so today I read something on Facebook, (I know drama central haha) that really just stuck with me all day and not in a good way.  Now I never confronted this person I don't even have a clue who they are.  Basically someone was looking about advice getting onto WIC and the formula they give because they will no longer be breast feeding. Standard question right?  Well I guess not. Someone one piped in saying that the lady asking should do this,this, and this to keep her baby on breast milk longer. The impression I got was you are not doing it right. Which is whatever, doesn't concern me. What I really didn't like was after a few other comments were exchanged someone said they were praising and congratulating for keeping them away from formula this long. Like really?! Maybe now you're sitting there wondering what my gripe about it is.
    As a mom, and I'm sure if you are a mom, you know how hard it is. There is so much pressure not only from yourself to make this little tiny life thrive but from everyone else. You can barely get in sleep and a meal and just pray for quiet 15 minute shower while you devote yourself to this little one. You try so hard and then people act like they know everything or a parenting decision you make just makes you the worst person on the planet. It sucks. So I'm sure that lady asking the question wasn't feeling great about switching to formula to begin with only to hear another person criticizing her must have hurt.  I'm hurt. I could only breastfeed for 2 weeks. Then my body stopped producing it, is that my fault? NO! And you know what I didn't let my daughter starve like so many others do. I tried until it didn't work and then I gave her the best formula for her. Sometimes it's not a choice, and even if it is who cares?! Unless that baby is being harmed it really isn't their business. My daughter was on formula from 2 weeks old until a year old. Guess what? She's fine and healthy.
   So moms don't be ashamed if you don't know why you have to do things one way when everyone else seems to be going a different direction. Each kid and parent is different. Some things work and some things don't. They don't know what it takes to be a good parent to your kid, only you do.

And while we are on the subject don't be ashamed if you don't have time to go to the gym or work out. I get it. The last thing on earth I want to do after chasing my daughter all day or not getting much sleep is to do crunches on the floor. It's a much needed break for my sanity. Some moms can do it or are able to get a babysitter they trust, some aren't so lucky. I know it sucks to see the other moms getting all skinny or skinnier than they were before their baby. Your day will come too.


No comments:

Post a Comment